Open Announce
Photo Credit: Garett Graf/USU Athletics

Friday Game at Utah State Paused in Extra Innings

by Allison Weiss

LOGAN, Utah— Friday’s game against Utah State went to extra innings after the Lobos scored a run in the sixth and a run in the seventh to tie the game at four, with the game being paused in the top of the eighth with Lobos on first and second with two outs.

UNM got on base early with a single to the outfield by Peyton Robinson to lead off and a walk for Keyannah Chavez, her first of three walks in the game. Rachael Hathoot sacrificed them all over with a bunt, but the Lobos were unable to add a hit to bring a run across.

Utah State took advantage of a fielding error and wild pitch to score the first run of the game on a single through the right side in the bottom of the first, the only run scored in the first three innings by either team.

The Lobos strung together a couple of runs in the top of the fourth starting with a leadoff home run by Hathoot to tie the game, her third of the season. Lauren Garcia followed with a double to the corner in right and with two outs, Ashley Archuleta drove in pinch runner Evany Gonzalez on a double to the wall in left center that put the Lobos up 2-1.

The Aggies reclaimed the lead with three runs in the bottom of the fifth with the Lobos chipping away at the deficit with patience at the plate in the sixth.

Maddie Boldt led off with a walk and Archuleta and Emma Bramson both reached on walks to load the bases. With two outs in the inning, a wild pitch during Robinson’s at-bat allowed Boldt to score to make it 4-3.

Chavez led off with a walk in the seventh to put the tying run on and a throwing error by the Aggie third baseman trying to get the lead runner traveled all the way to the fence in right as Chavez came around to score and tie the game. Garcia took second on the play, where she would be stranded as the top half of the inning came to an end.

Starter Amber Linton recorded two strikeouts in the bottom of the seventh with the winning run standing on first to send the game to extras.

Bramson and Robinson walked at the top of the eighth and following Robinson’s walk, USU decided to make a pitching change. As the sun continued to set, and without any lights at LaRee & LeGrand Johnson Field, the umpires decided to pause the game due to lack of sunlight.

Game one will resume on Saturday at 1 p.m. with game two to follow.

At the time of the game being stopped, the Lobos had drawn a season-high nine walks and Linton had thrown 11 strikeouts, the second time this season that the junior right-hander has reached double digits in strikeouts.