ABOUT THE ATHLETICS STUDENT FEE
In May 2021, the Board of Regents approved the Athletics Student Fee to be assessed via a headcount model. Students at UNM have always paid fees to support the Athletics programs at the University, but the method in which these fees are assessed was changed by the Board of Regents in May 2021 to become a flat rate, per semester fee. The Athletics fee is used to support the Athletics programs at the University and is intended to offset costs associated with student support, team travel, and other costs which benefit student-athletes. UNM students receive free admission to all athletic events and are eligible for a number of student specific events and promotions offered by the Athletics program.
The Athletic Department works to support The University of New Mexico’s mission by serving and representing the state’s flagship institution through intercollegiate athletics. To accomplish this, the Athletic Department commits itself to student-athlete success and competitive excellence by creating an inclusive environment through recruiting, developing, and retaining quality people, while providing a great fan experience, inspiring community engagement, and serving as a source of pride for the University, City of Albuquerque, and state of New Mexico.
The Athletics student fee is assessed on a per semester basis, $100/each for Fall and Spring and $67 for Summer for students enrolled in 4 or more credit hours. A total of approximately $3.7 million will be generated from the Athletics student fee. The University of New Mexico athletic department competes in the Mountain West Conference. In 2020, the Mountain West average for student fees directed to Athletics was $4.6-million. Fees are accumulated to offset costs associated with sponsoring the University’s NCAA Division 1 athletic programs.
The University of New Mexico sponsors 18 sports programs in the Mountain West Conference: Baseball, Men’s Basketball, Women’s Basketball, Men’s Cross Country, Women’s Cross Country, Football, Men’s Golf, Women’s Golf, Men’s Tennis, Women’s Tennis, Men’s Track & Field, Women’s Track & Field, Women’s Soccer, Women’s Swimming and Diving, and Women’s Volleyball. The athletic department supports over 400 student-athletes, 60 spirit program members, and approximately 60 student employees.
The athletic department serves a diverse population of the student-body. In Fall 2020, UNM athletes accounted for 20.69% of UNM’s Native Hawaiian students, 18.12% of UNM’s African American students, and 16.75% of UNM’s non-resident alien population.
USE OF ATHLETICS STUDENT FEES:
- Student Costs: Students costs include, but are not limited to, cost of scholarships for student-athletes not covered by other sources, textbooks, insurance, and medical costs.
- Team Travel: The University’s athletic teams compete and represent the University across the country at various athletic competitions. The costs associated with traveling teams to away game competition are offset by student fees.
- Student-Athlete Well-Being: Other costs associated with Division 1 athletic competition include nutritional expenses (e.g. post-competition nutrition), mental health and wellness initiatives, equipment expenses (e.g. game uniforms), and more.
- Student Employment Opportunities: Student fees generated by Athletics provides opportunities for student employment throughout the department. The athletic department has student employment opportunities in the areas of athletic administration, academic advisement, communications, football, Lobo Club (fundraising), marketing, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, and the ticket office. Graduate assistant positions are also sponsored by the department including coaching roles and positions within athletic training and academic advisement. These opportunities offer students an opportunity to gain real-world experience in athletics while completing their academic journey at the UNM.
DIRECT BENEFITS TO UNM STUDENTS:
- Free Admission to all UNM Athletic events.
- Direct support to over 400 student-athletes, 60 spirit program members, and approximately 60 student employees.
- Ability for students to purchase $10.00 guest tickets to Football and Basketball events, a discount of at least 30%.
- Access to student specific events and promotions sponsored by Athletics.
- Student Employment Opportunities: Student fees generated by Athletics provides employment opportunities for UNM students interested in coaching, sport administration, or a related field.