Men's Tennis Named All-Academic Team, Eight Named ITA Scholar-Athlete
TEMPE, Ariz. — The University of New Mexico men’s tennis was on of 186 men’s tennis programs to be awarded All-Academic Team distinction. Additionally, eight players were named ITA Scholar-Athletes. Overall 979 across Division I were so honored.
The eight players honored were Facundo Bermejo, Raul Dobai, Stephen Holis, Alex Maggs, Sergio Molina, Nicholas Prieto, Jake Trondson and Dominic West. All eight are scheduled to return in 2020-21, including Trondson and West, who had their senior seasons cut short by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The eight honorees in the most for the program since the honors began in 2000. The previous high was in 2011 when the team had seven.
To be named an ITA Scholar-Athlete, one must meet the following requirements:
- have a grade point average of at least 3.5 (on a 4.00 scale) for the current academic year
- be listed on the institutional eligibility form
To be named an ITA All-Academic Team, programs must meet the following requirements:
- have a team grade point average of 3.2 or above (on a 4.00 scale),
- all student-athletes included should be listed on the institutional eligibility form, and
- all varsity letter winners should be factored into the cumulative team GPA for the current academic year