Lobo Spirit Tryouts
UNM Spirit Program Tryouts 2020-2021
Our priority is the safety and well-being of our student-athletes. Due to the continual changes and uncertainty of COVID-19, our 2020-2021 Spirit Program tryouts will be conducted via video submission only.
-All tryout applications are due Wednesday, April 22 (GoLobos.com/TryoutApplication)
-All videos (coed cheer, all girl cheer and dance) are due before Friday, April 24 at 5 pm MST.
-Videos will be evaluated the week of April 25 through May 1.
-$40 tryout fee due by Wednesday, April 22 (visit GoLobos.com/TryoutFee or Click Here)
-Only YouTube or Vimeo links will be accepted for video submissions for both cheer and dance.
-All submissions must email your video links to email@example.com with the subject: “Your Full Name” UNM Tryout “Cheer (coed/all girl/both)/Dance” (please only include which team you are trying out for).
-Late videos will not be accepted.
-You must be able to show proof of enrollment/acceptance to the University of New Mexico. Please include this attachment in video link email.
-Please remember we will be looking for candidates that possess:
- Strong leadership qualities
- Charismatic presence/personality
- Enthusiasm and confidence
- Ability to engage an audience
- Physical Fitness and athletic appearance
Important notes for Tryouts:
- Incoming freshmen and transfer students must have completed the regular admissions application process before the posted deadlines and be accepted to UNM.
- Candidates must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university.
- Candidates must possess sufficient physical fitness and proper training to execute all required skills during the selection process.
- Candidates must have proof of Health Insurance. (Student insurance not accepted)
- The tryout application must be completed in its entirety and submitted by the stated due date, including the required tryout fee.
Please be aware that this is an important part of your tryout process. You should appear “game ready” throughout the entire tryout video. No jewelry of any kind.
What to wear for tryouts: Please make sure your selections are appropriate. We suggest that you wear either red, grey or white. Wearing University of New Mexico apparel is recommended.
Ladies: Athletic shorts (preferably spandex or NikePro shorts or running type shorts), tank or sport bra and cheer shoes. Applicants must have hair pulled up, away from face. Visible tattoos should be covered.
Men: Athletic shorts, t-shirt (or tank), and athletic shoes. Visible tattoos should be covered.
Video submission requirements:
All video submissions must include these elements in the following order and must include ALL requirements to be considered.
Please open your video by stating your full name, your current school and grade, position tryout out for (cheer). Then answer the following questions in succession. Please do not make edits between questions. You can have someone off camera ask you the question or read them yourself before answering:
1. Pick one word you would use to describe yourself. Why?
2. What makes a good leader?
3. How would your old teammates describe you?
4. Why do you want to be a member of the UNM Spirit Program?
SKILLS TO INCLUDE IN THE VIDEO
Sideline and fight song (provided via link after tryout application and fee has been submitted).
Please find a flat, safe and approved surface to perform close to home. Ex: grass, turf, court or flat cheer mat. No spring floor or trampoline. Demonstration of standing back handspring and standing back tuck.
Additional Tumbling and stunts that are previously recorded. Please include videos from the 2019-2020 season of your best additional standing and running tumbling passes and 2-3 stunts. For the stunting portion please include a variety of skills that demonstrate your technique, current ability and potential. Videos will be judged based on difficulty, technique and execution.
If you are trying out for all girl and coed, you are strongly encouraged to include 2-3 stunts of both group stunting and partner stunting.
Coaches and Spirit Coordinator may contact you for an additional interview using Zoom meetings. These individual interviews would be the week of April 25-May 1.
Individuals will be evaluated and finalists will be announced on May 2. Finalists will be asked to attend a “practice” with all finalists to then be evaluated on team dynamic, versatility, and required and preferred skills. The dates for finals will be TBD and based on the nature and state of our situations due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Lobo Dancer Candidates:
Auditions for the 2020-2021 Lobo Dance Team will consist of 3 different aspects: technique, choreography, and interview skills. For the time being, our technique and choreography rounds will be held via video submission. The first round will include Game Day Experience and Technique. It is the expectation that your hair, make-up and outfit selection be just as presentable as if you were in person. An instructional video of our spirit raising techniques (fight song and band tag) will be sent out for you to learn, record, and include in your audition packet. We ask that this video be sent in no later than April 24th for judging.
1st Round Video Requirements:
- Dancer Introduction
- Name, Age, City/Location, Years of Training
- Fight Song
- With and Without Music
- Band Tag
- With Music Selection of Choice
- Triple or Quad Pirouette – Right & Left
- Front Leg Hold – Right & Left (for 2 eight counts)
- Side Leg Hold – Right & Left (for 2 eight counts)
- Tilt Extension – Right & Left without hands
- Toe Touch
- Front Leap
- Center Leap
- Calypso/Chaine Jete Leap
- Additional leap combo of your choice showcasing your strengths
- Turns in Second – Provide an a la seconde combo that is at least four counts of eight long. Feel free to include other variations such as changing spots, floats, front/back attitude turns, coupe turns etc.
- Hip Hop Tricks – Kip Up, Head Spring, Rubberband (only if you have them)
After evaluating Game Day Experience and Technique, staff will notify those dancers selected to advance in the audition process. The second round will focus on style as well as interview skills. You will receive two combinations via email, one jazz and one hip hop, taught by staff or alumni. You will then have a week to learn, video and send in these routines. Videos must be submitted by May 8 at 5pm MST.
During the week of May 4-8, you will be expected to set up a time for a video conference with coaching staff via Zoom meeting. These interviews will last 10-15 minutes and will cover personality, speaking skills, and knowledge of the university and its athletic program. During your call you will be expected to dress in business casual. After all content has been reviewed and decided upon, coaching staff will select the 2020-2021 Lobo Dance Team and announce by May 15.
During these times, we understand that space might be limited to you. Rest assured that you will not be deducted for where your video is made, so get creative! Go outside, dance in your kitchen, etc. Please ensure that videos are high quality and that there is no extra noise in the background. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*PLEASE NOTE: Coaches may elect to hold a final in-person round prior to team selection as well as a later tryout date once fall semester begins depending on circumstances.