Lobos conclude exhibition portion of schedule with 91-43 win over ENMU
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The second and final tune-up for the 2018-19 season took place on Sunday afternoon for the University of New Mexico women’s basketball team as they played Eastern New Mexico University in an exhibition game in front of 4,275 at Dreamstyle Arena – The Pit. UNM would come out of the preseason contest with a 91-43 win.
In the game, the Lobos had four players score in double figures and 11 of the 12 players to play in the game scored at least one point. Freshman Jayla Everett led the way with a game-high 20 points. Jaisa Nunn and Aisia Robertson were next in scoring with 15 points apiece. Jaedyn De La Cerda was the fourth Lobo in double figures with 11.
Everett’s big offensive output was also an efficient one as she was 7-of-9 overall from the floor and 3-of-4 from long range. Nunn was also efficient in her scoring matching Everett’s 7-of-9 overall from the floor. Robertson’s 15 points were coupled with 12 assists as she registered a double-double.
Senior transfer Nike McClure was the lone Lobo not to register a point, however, her impact on the game was felt in other ways as she blocked five shots and come down with five rebounds (two offensive). Four of her blocks denied potential three-point tries by the Greyhounds.
Antonia Anderson and Madi Washington tied McClure for the team-high in rebounds with five, while Shaiquel McGruder also tied McClure’s mark for blocks with five of them herself.
The Lobos will now prepare to begin their 2018-19 season in earnest this coming Friday as they host Texas State in the opening game of the preseason WNIT Tournament. Tip-off for the game with Texas State is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Friday, November 9.
- UNM had the lead for a total of 37:41 (94.9% of the game)
- ENMU’s only lead was 2-0 at the 8:14 mark of the 1st quarter
- The Lobos biggest lead of the game was 48 points (91-43, 0:38 – 4th Q)
- Aisia Robertson had a double-double with 15 points and 12 assists.
- It was the first double-double by a Lobo in their two exhibition games
- 11 out of 12 Lobos scored with four reaching double figures
- Jayla Everett (20), Jaisa Nunn (15), Aisia Robertson (15), Jaedyn De La Cerda (11), Bre’Asiajah Mathews(8), Shaiquel McGruder(7), Ahlise Hurst (6), Antonia Anderson (3), Quincy Noble (3), Erica Moore (2), and Madi Washington (1).
- For the game, the Lobos had a field goal percentage of 54% (34-63) compared to Eastern N.M.’s 25.9% (15-58).
- The Lobos out-scored the Greyhounds in every quarter
- UNM also held ENMU to less than 10 points in a quarter twice (1st Q, 3rd Q)
- UNM led ENMU in points off turnover (35-16), in the paint (48-14), second chance (14-4), and on fast breaks (44-6).