ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. —Beginning September 1, the University of New Mexico will sell beer and wine at all football games inside University Stadium, UNM Athletics officially announced today.
“We take fan feedback seriously, and we began improving the game day food and beverage experience in partnership with Levy Restaurants to include beer and wine, reflecting the options fans are looking for in professional sports venues,” said Deputy Athletic Director, Brad Hutchins.
Fans in University Stadium will be offered the opportunity to purchase beer and wine including Miller Lite, Coors Light, Blue Moon, Dos Equis, Sam Adams and select locations will carry local craft beer from Chama River Brewing Company, Kelly’s Brew Pub and Marble Brewery. Beer will be offered in 12 and 16 ounce sizes, alongside 6.3 ounce servings of wine. Lobo fans will be able to purchase a maximum of four total beverage purchases of beer and wine per event.
Fan safety is the University’s top priority, and in conjunction with Levy Restaurants, UNM Police and the UNM Campus Office for Substance Abuse, UNM Athletics has developed several procedures to ensure responsible consumption, including:
- Those of legal age will need to stop by an ID check location. ID check locations will be located near gates 1, 4, 8 and 9. At this time, a legal and accepted form of I.D. must be shown to receive wrist band. Gates open 90 minutes before the game. Only guests with wristbands will have the opportunity to purchase alcoholic beverages.
- Beer and wine will be available at concessions stands. At the time of purchase, guest will show both the wrist band and a legal and accepted form of I.D. to ensure all guests are of legal age to complete purchase.
- Each time a Lobo fan purchases an alcoholic beverage, we will mark the wrist band.
- Beer and wine sales will stop immediately at the end of the third quarter at every Lobo football game although UNM reserves the right to change the policy on cutoff times depending on kick times, and will communicate that to guests.
Levy Restaurants is in good standing with the New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department, and is committed to responsible alcohol service locally and nationally at over 100 sports and entertainment venues. The team will be utilizing state approved training providers such as WayToServe to ensure all staff adhere to responsible alcohol service policies and procedures.
In addition to increased signage around University Stadium, UNM Athletics will also encourage responsible drinking and driving via:
- Join UNM Athletics and ENDWI in the fight to end drinking and driving. Be a designated driver and sign up at the ENDWI booth upon arrival at University Stadium. Fans who check in at the ENDWI booth upon arrival at the football game will receive a Pepsi beverage at no charge for designated drivers. Download the ENDWI app on your mobile device.
- Bernalillo County Tavern Taxi Program. The Tavern Taxi Program provides a safe ride home to individuals from local bars/restaurants in the Bernalillo County area from 10p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights at no charge.
- In addition, fans can always utilize ride-sharing services such as Uber. UNM has established a pick up and drop off zone in Lot A of Isotopes Park, which is located on the First Base Side, off of Avenida César Chávez.
- UNM Designated Lobos is a program for students that provides rewards (movie tickets, gift cards, etc.) to students who are willing to be the “DD” when they socialize with friends. UNM students can sign up at the Campus Office of Substance Abuse Prevention- COSAP at 277-2795.